When it comes to designing a kitchen for a middle class family, there are a few things to keep in mind. First and foremost, the kitchen should be functional and efficient. It should also be comfortable and welcoming, with enough space to cook and eat meals. It’s also important to consider the family’s lifestyle and preferences when designing the kitchen. For example, if the family enjoys spending time in the kitchen cooking, they may want a kitchen with a lot of cooking space and a large countertop. On the other hand, if the family is more relaxed and prefers to eat out, they may want a smaller kitchen with less cooking space.
Retro Cool Kitchen Design
For a small kitchen, it is unlikely that a pompous design a la the 30s or a bright pin-up 50s will work, but a stanine “thaw” or grunge will be a great solution. Adhere to a light color scheme to expand the room visually.
Monochrome walls and ceiling in pastel colors, light-colored floor (laminate, parquet or tile), furniture with glossy facades – all this will play to increase the space.
Take a few tips to create a retro style in a small area:
- Single pieces of furniture instead of a kitchen set.
- A glazed cupboard for dishes.
- Short plaid curtains.
- Small white tiles as a kitchen apron.
- Authentic accessories (radio, Soviet posters, recipe books, potted flowers, lace doilies, figurines, wall or table clocks).
- Unique home appliances – for example, a refrigerator in a retro design.
- Vintage tableware (tea pairs, polka-dot sugar bowls, salt and spice sets).
- Posters, postcards, black and white photographs on the walls.
A Kitchen Island from Old Hardware Store Counter
The advantage of a homemade kitchen island is that it saves money. There is no need to order anything, the materials are available. Often it is enough to replace the countertop with a more attractive one to make an unusual piece of furniture in the center of the kitchen.
The second plus – you can make a kitchen island according to your size and needs. You need open storage space – use the rails on the side, you need a narrow countertop because of the peculiarities of the room – please.
Often kitchen islands are made deliberately rough, simple, rustic style. If it’s a variant for a country or summer kitchen, then you can use old pallets, bricks, any improvised materials. For home, however, try to make a more elegant thing, if, of course, your kitchen is not in the style of country or rustic.
Small Kitchen with Butcher Block As An Island
Small kitchens can often feel cramped and cluttered. But with a little bit of planning and the right furnishings, even the smallest kitchen can be both functional and stylish.
One way to add both storage and style to a small kitchen is to use a butcher block as an island. Butcher blocks are a great way to add extra counter space to a kitchen, and they can also be used for food preparation or as a buffet for entertaining.
When choosing a butcher block for your kitchen, there are a few things to keep in mind. First, consider the size of your kitchen and the amount of counter space you need. If you have a large kitchen, you may want to consider a larger butcher block that can double as a prep station and serving area.
Second, think about the style of your kitchen and the overall look you are going for. If you have a more traditional kitchen, a wood butcher block would be a good choice. For a more modern kitchen, a stainless steel or glass butcher block would be a better fit.
Finally, consider how you will use your butcher block. If you plan on using it mainly for food preparation, look for a model that has storage shelves or drawers. If you want to use it as a buffet or serving area, look for a model with a built-in cutting board or wine rack.
No matter how you plan to use it, a butcher block is a great way to add both style and function to your small kitchen.
Simple Kitchen Design Using Wooden Countertops
A countertop is the surface that comes into contact with an aggressive environment more often than any other: someone accidentally put something hot, hit it with a sharp edge or cut it, spilled water, something escaped from a flat cooking surface… This list could go on forever, but the conclusion is one: do not skimp on the countertop. It takes the brunt of any activity in the kitchen. That’s why many people choose natural wood. It is expensive, but the advantages are obvious:
The material is environmentally friendly.
- Wood is easy to acquire the necessary shape.
- The surface is resistant to the appearance of irregularities and chips, as well as to moisture and temperature changes.
- Wood suits to almost any stylistic direction, it can be combined with other materials and a variety of shades.
- The service life of the countertop is about 25 years.
- Wood has antistatic properties, so that on such a countertop less accumulates dust.
- If any chips or irregularities appear, the wood can easily be restored to its original appearance. It is enough to treat the surface with sandpaper or a grinder, and then cover with paint or varnish.
- The possibility of changing the design. If necessary, you can change the shape of the table top, decorate it with ornaments, repaint it in another shade or, on the contrary, remove the paint and varnish the surface.
- Unique natural pattern allows you to create a one-of-a-kind countertop.
- Tabletop edge can be milled of any complexity.
The cost of a wooden worktop depends on many parameters. Large size, non-standard shape, type of wood and intricate work in the production increase the cost of a wooden tabletop. At the same time, a small countertop made of a common type of wood, in the production of which you do not have to perform complicated work, will have an acceptable cost.
The disadvantages include the following characteristics:
- Difficulty of maintenance. Periodically, the protective coating must be removed, and then cover the wood with a new one. Such care will increase the life of the material.
- Wooden surface can darken after contact with hot dishes.
- The material is highly inflammable.
- With minimal contact with water, the wood easily changes color, so such a countertop should be covered with a moisture-resistant varnish. Less effective way – coating with oil and preliminary protection with wax, but at such treatment the warmth and texture of the natural material is preserved. Oil impregnation is recommended to renew every 1-1.5 years.
- Consequences of increased physical impact on the wooden surface are highly visible and require restoration of the original appearance.
- Do not use abrasive cleaners and aggressive household chemicals. Abrasive cleaners leave scratches on the surface, and the use of aggressive household chemicals to the appearance of dark spots.
- Because of its increased density, wood is a heavy material.
- Over time, wood burns out when exposed to sunlight.
A Farmhouse Kitchen on A Budget
The calling card of the rustic style is natural materials. The basis of the interior is roughly processed wood and stone, solid furniture, wicker and clay products, and cute knickknacks, simple textiles and vintage decor give it a homely look.
The natural harmony of natural textures and shades promotes relaxation – in such an environment, problems and hardships are quickly forgotten, and the mood to cook a tasty pie or have a festive dinner appears instead. The matte wooden surfaces are pleasant to touch, they reek of home comfort.
Country style is very practical, one wants to spend as much time as possible in it, feeling the calm dimension of country life.